When tax season rolls around, whether you are filing a w-2 as a private filer, 1098 for self-employed status, or any other forms as a business owner, you have to know where and what to file; for these, and other reasons, you should consider working with a professional accounting firm when the time rolls around for you to begin considering what you will do during tax season. Choosing the right accounting firm is just as important as timely filing, and disclosing all information accurately, so you do have to take some time to find the best firm when you are ready to file.
Consider Your Status
Depending on whether you are filing a basic w-2, or whether you are self-employed, own a business, or are filing under any other status, there are going to be different filing rules for each individual or each entity. Therefore, you must first determine what you are, and what category you fall under, in order to ensure you do find the very best accounting firm to take on your taxes and filing, when the time comes for you to file your taxes with the IRS and any state taxes that you have to file.
As a customer, you want to make sure that the accounting firm you work with, is reliable and stands behind their work. When choosing the firm you should consider:
– their expertise, the type of customers they file for, and how long the firm (or private accountant) has been in business;
– the type of clients they work with (private filers, big or small business, etc);
– how many tax forms they do annually, in order to find the most reliable firms;
– the guarantees that are made, and whether the accounting firm is going to stand behind their filing in the event of an audit;
– how many deductions they are going to find for you when the time comes to file; and,
– how much you are going to be charged to file, when the time comes for you to decide on the firm or the private accountant, when tax season rolls around and it is time to pay taxes at the state and at the federal level.
With so many national firms, small local firms, and private accountants to go with, there are no shortages of getting great business if you want to ensure your taxes are properly filed. Although you can use online tax software, these very rarely provide a guarantee in the event you are audited, so if something is done incorrectly, you might be dealing with great repercussions. To avoid this, it is well worth the fee you are going to be paying to the accounting firm, when you do choose to file with a firm as opposed to doing it on your own.
So, taking the time to hire the best firm, and the most reputable accountants, is something all filers should do. When you are ready to file, these are some of the factors you have to consider, to ensure you do choose the best accounting firm to work with.